Dec 04 2016
DRIVING in Traffic – A Unique Managerial Assessment Tool
DRIVING in Traffic – A unique Managerial Assessment tool.
Yes folks you read it right !!!!!!
DRIVING in traffic – as a Managerial Assessment tool.
Like you I was zapped when I heard it first from a young brilliant lady HR professional who we had placed as Head HR Shared services APAC with a multibillion dollar mnc and who in 2 years rose to Head HR for APAC. She is a premium MBA – with over 10 years’ experience in companies like GE – and now over 5 years in the multi-billion dollar mnc engineering conglomerate. A consummate professional who is exposed to International best practices. Thus I had to sit up & take notice.
Was she joking ????
NO sir – she was DEAD SERIOUS – and actually practiced what she was preaching (of course in addition to other established tools).
At an appropriate stage she asked the potential senior management hiree / employee to take her to a destination (another office etc) through a route she knew would be FULL OF TRAFFIC and she observed the person as he/she navigated the traffic. And she explained why this works / what she looks for ????
When you drive in the midst of heavy traffic...
1. You are fully focussed on driving / the traffic – and thus not on guard / or realize that this is actually a test of your managerial abilities / competencies.
2. You are under stress – and you either get stressed / upset/ curse / yell etc – or remain cool & calm ( ability to handle stress / stressful situations).
3. You have to take split second decisions – as you navigate through heavy traffic ( decisiveness).
4. To thread thru traffic – you plan / strategize – change lanes in advance / nudge your way through to get ahead / in your desired path ( planning / strategizing ) – do you make abrupt shifts or slowly steadily nudge your way –one step at a time in a determined sequential manner to reach your lane / position.
5. Do you push your way through at all costs – getting upset when things don’t go your way or give way where required – but wait for your opportunity to calmly but surely forge ahead – planning / organizing – strategizing + drive & determination.
These are just top of the line – comments.
I am sure you will have more – let’s chat – the more the merrier.